Fingers crossed this whole lockdown debacle is over and we can all grab our surfboards, best bikinis and coconut tanning oil and head out there this summer. Here are the top 5 beaches in the North Island we will be hitting this summer:
Wainui Beach, Gisborne
- Whether you are looking to escape the campsite of RnV or just get away for the weekend, this is definitely our favourite spot over summer. We may be biased considering it being the home town and all but we will let you make up your mind.
Mount Maunganui, Bay Of Plenty
- Everyone loves the mount, a quick run up the mount, coffee and an over priced avo on toast with the crew. Then straight over to the beach for a swim and a wave. Finish it off with a craft beer down mount main and you are good to go.
Taupo Bay, Northland
- This small little beach community is ideal on a summers day, whether you are just passing through or parking up for the weekend. The water is crystal clear and surrounded by picturesque cliffs. This is a great place to stop and enjoy an iconic Northland beach.
- Just north of Auckland and east of Warkworth, this is such a cool spot to park up and see. Stop off at Matakana for some brunch then spend the day at Tawharanui. With potential for some great surf as well. Make sure you stop off at the Sawmill Brewery on the way back.
Maori Bay, Muriwai
- Black sand and the west coast goes hand in hand. Maori bay is just around the corner for Muriwai main beach and the perfect spot to get a nice wave over summer, with great banks. You can also do the Te Henga Walkway which goes from Bethells beach to Muriwai, and is 10.3km one way so bring some lunch.